Efforts are underway to raise fund for a free bookstore in Silver Spring, Maryland. We are working toward finding a permanent home in the community.
Did you know that some of the schools in Silver Spring, MD have more than 80% FARMS Students? On average 60% of low-income children have no access to books of interest in their homes. This means that nearly 1/2 the students in these communities don't have books of interest.
Kids need access to books of interest so they can learn to read. Only after the kids learn to read, can they read to learn.
Thank you for your donations to help fund the first free bookstore in Montgomery County, Maryland:
Every dollar counts!
Get Free Books by the pallet: www.velocityofbooks.org/free_books_by_the_pallet_order_form
Poor people are least likely to have books in their homes. Thus perpetuating the legacy of poverty. Your book donations make a difference.
Throughout the year Velocity of Books provides thousands of books to community service organizations such as Catholic Charities Center in Silver Spring, MD. They, in turn, provide the books to people who come to their services:
- Case management, crisis intervention, and referral services
- Choice Food Pantry
- Mobile Market (produce distribution)
- Clothing, shoes, and diapers
- Parent Education and Empowerment Group (Abriendo Puertas)
- Financial Education classes
- Rent, Mortgage and Utility Assistance
- Financial assistance for single mothers with cancer
- Immigration Legal Services
- Services for pregnant women
More than 400 books were delivered on a single day.